Leakage costs in industry adds up to millions of dollars per year. To put it in perspective, in a facility using compressed air at 100 psig with electricity consumption cost of 6 cents per kilowatt-hour, a few small leaks can add up to more than $22,000 per year. Liquid leaks are fairly easy to spot, but gas leaks are more difficult to diagnose and repair.
Energy management is the process by which energy costs and system leakage are controlled. This can be accomplished by:
- Identifying and reducing energy loss
- Cost effectively reducing the loss of system media
Energy management is an important part of running any business. It is crucial to know that the systems you rely on are efficient and running properly. Swagelok has conducted over 350,000 emissions surveys around the world in our customers' facilities, those using both Swagelok and other manufacturer's fittings.
If you suspect there may be an issue and don't know where to start, trained Swagelok staff can provide an on-site energy survey to test the assemblies and connections you have in place. If steam is used or generated in your facility, Swagelok also works with a team of Energy Advisors with vast expertise in reclaiming and utilizing steam efficiently. Read more about steam services here.
An energy survey, with a knowledgeable sales associate, using a leak detector may just be enough to show you how much you could save by finding out what you're losing.
How does an Emissions Survey work?
1. With the help of Snoop, a leak detection product from Swagelok, our expert is able to visually test for leaks, estimate the rate of loss and calculate these losses. It is ideal when there are multiple end connections to test or when they are located in hard to reach places. We also examine systems for potential safety hazards, misapplication of components, excessive wear and damage.
2. We can also assist in testing systems that operate under compression or vacuum. Our ultrasonic equipment is sensitive enough to detect leads from small diameters from a distance.
3. Upon completion of the survey, you will receive a detailed report including all connections tested and any issues found. In addition to the survey report, our staff is available for an in-depth review of your fluid system performance. This will help you:
- Detect leaks and repair potential
- Document energy savings opportunities
- Reduce downtime
- Lower overall system costs
- Decrease maintenance costs
Contact San Diego Fluid System Technologies at 858.320.4000 or your account manager if you are interested in pursuing an emissions survey. Upon gathering basic information about your facility and what you are experiencing, we will work with you to plan and schedule your onsite survey.